Sunday, March 22, 2015

RHS Harlow Carr

After visiting Cambridge I headed north to York for the night. York is an amazing city full of history, old buildings, and ghost tours. Yes, I went on one and it was awesome. I learned a lot about the history of York and capped the night with a pint at Guy Fawkes Pub which is where he was born. (V for Vendetta)


The next morning I watched the eclipse and got on a 30 minute train ride for the city of Harrogate which is where RHS Harlow Carr is located.

The weather was absolutely beautiful when I arrived at Harlow Carr. I met up with Garden Manager, Alison Goding and we headed straight for the Alpine House. There was a bunch of children streaming in and out of the alpine house learning about the alpines which was really great to see. Alison gave me some details of the house including venting and shading. I then tagged along with two trainees who showed me around the nursery and inside of the alpine houses and answered some other questions I had. Both of the alpine house gardeners are on maternity leave and everyone did their best to answer my questions.

Trainee'st talking about the management of the house
the landscaped beds blended well with the display pot areas. The bench is where I had lunch. 
A stacked tufa wall 
Stacked crevice garden
I walked around most of Harlow Carr and had a chance to see their winter garden which is spectacular. A bed of Heathers was in full glory buzzing with bees right next to the main entrance.

Winter Garden

And of course I went to Betty's for lunch but got had it to go so I could enjoy it in the alpine house look at the design a little more. I really like what Harlow Carr has done with their house and I had some new idea's that may work for Betty Ford Alpine Gardens house.

Next stop: Edinburgh, Scotland for the SRGC Stirling Show

No comments:

Post a Comment