Monday, March 23, 2015

SRGC Alpine Show

After a scenic train ride up the coast to Edinburgh, I was picked up by Ian Bainbridge and brought to his warm home just outside the city where it's quiet. Ian & Carole cooked a delicious meal of wild pigeon, vegetables, and a warm crumble for dessert. After great discussions on a variety of subjects to do with plants and people, I crashed into bed and slept like a rock.

The next morning we headed for Kincardine, Stirling for the Scottish Rock Garden Club Alpine Flower Show. Shows are something Americans don't do too often and I had to see one for myself after seeing pictures of them in journals.

Judging

Another perfect Dionysia

This Trillium grown by Cyril Lafong won best in show

Well, perfect plants were on display. A wide collection of spring bulbs, flowering Rhododendrons, Saxifraga, and a trillium grown to perfection were just a few categories in the competition. I finally met Julia Corden who is responsible for getting the word to Nicola for me to apply to the Diana Aitchison Fund. Julia and I went around to the various categories and took down info on who got 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Judging these flower shows is serious business as no one is allowed to be near them or in the room when their judging. I kept my distance and watched from afar as they discussed each plant carefully.

Julia Corden 

After Judging I was then asked to attend a Joint Rock Committee meeting. In a small room I sat next to some of the smartest people in Alpine horticulture. I was thrilled to meet people I had read about or have their books on my shelf at home. They discussed plants and new introductions to the show and voted on whether it gets a recommendation or dismissed.

Important decisions on plants are made at the Committee meetings
After the meeting I was then asked to go on Beechgrove Garden BBC TV to talk about who I am and why I am visiting the UK. Hopefully it came out alright and I didn't mess up too many sentences.


It was really great to see so many people participate in growing alpine plants and take their Saturday to bring them to a show. Although it was a smaller show, I was really impressed to see so many great plants and meet many great people.

No comments:

Post a Comment